My client was a New Zealand Crown Financial Institution (CFI) that provided insurance cover for residential land, contents, and buildings damaged by natural disasters.
Multiple departments within the CFI, and external Government Departments needed on demand access to Workforce information.
- Information was stored in spreadsheets, on hard drives, USB’s, and filing cabinets in multiple locations throughout the CFI.
- Ad hoc reporting requests were consuming considerable time and resources.
- Data was being used for purposes outside the original solution scope.
I proposed a solution to the problems.
We delivered some enterprise software that centralised all workforce information, created a single source of truth, enabled controlled access to data, provided automated reporting and ad hoc reporting when needed.
The workforce was able to login, update their profile, upload qualifications/certifications, advise of availability, and view work assignments.
Working with key stakeholders we decided to design a solution incrementally and add functionality as we learned more about stakeholder and business needs.
- I spent time analysing existing documents to understand the existing system, the process, the business rules, and data that might be useful in eliciting the requirements from the stakeholders.
- I then created a high-level context diagram to identify the exchange of information taking place between the proposed solution with other existing solution users.
- Created a list of questions for stakeholders to understand their needs and requirements.
- Scheduled meetings with stakeholders to design the process, screen design to capture information about the worker and generate the reports.
- Documented all information collected during elicitation and received confirmation.
- Synthesised a lot of information. This information was organised, analysed and communicated frequently.
Short on time and armed with loads of stakeholder and business requirements, we locked ourselves in a room for a day. We brainstormed user stories and wrote everything down.
“Using a whiteboard we designed the solution architecture for this software. I took a photo’s of the whiteboard diagrams, and put them into a business case, that I wrote and presented to executive management.”
The project was unanimously approved and funded. I served on the project team as a Analyst and Subject Matter Expert (SME). It was a super-cool project and satisfying to progress from delivering a rapid solution to solve the original workforce problems, then outgrowing that solution, proposing an extended solution, and serving on the team that built the new enterprise software.